|Professional | Personal | Pedantry | Programme | Parish | Photos | Points and Pistons | Positronics | Programming | Pollution | Places||old|
|Central Shunting Yard|
|Main||Australia||Miscellaneous||Rest of World|
|Victorian Railways Shunting Yard|
Number of Images on this Page = 2
The X class were built between 1929 to 1947, and were a development of the earlier C class. 29 units were built, and were designed to be converted to standard gauge, an idea that was a popular political football of the time. They eliminated double heading of goods trains, although they were demanding engines to drive.
As they were built as main-line goods locos, the arrival of diesels meant the death knell for them, and all were scrapped by 1961, save for X36 seen here preserved at Williamstown Railway Museum.
|This page maintained by
Copyright Monash University Acceptable Use Policy
5447 accesses since 20 Sep 2006, HTML cache rendered at 20160531:0417