B Class Co-Co diesel electric
The B class were the Victorian Railways' first diesels, and were built by Clyde Engineering in Sydney. In 1952, the delivery run of the class leader, B60, made history when it hauled a goods train over the standard gauge from Sydney to Wondonga, where it was bogie exchanged for the run to Melbourne. This was the first time in Australia that a single engine had worked over multiple gauges.
The B class displaced the R class from The Overland and the S class from The Spirit of Progress, the chief VR express passenger trains, and led directly to the withdrawal of the H class and S class steam locomotives.