|Professional | Personal | Pedantry | Programme | Parish | Photos | Points and Pistons | Positronics | Programming | Pollution | Places||old|
|Central Shunting Yard|
|Main||Australia||Miscellaneous||Rest of World|
|Victorian Railways Shunting Yard|
Number of Images on this Page = 11
The B class were the Victorian Railways' first diesels, and were built by Clyde Engineering in Sydney. In 1952, the delivery run of the class leader, B60, made history when it hauled a goods train over the standard gauge from Sydney to Wondonga, where it was bogie exchanged for the run to Melbourne. This was the first time in Australia that a single engine had worked over multiple gauges.
The B class displaced the R class from The Overland and the S class from The Spirit of Progress, the chief VR express passenger trains, and led directly to the withdrawal of the H class and S class steam locomotives.
|This page maintained by
Copyright Monash University Acceptable Use Policy
7232 accesses since 17 Sep 2006, HTML cache rendered at 20150729:1150