|Professional | Personal | Pedantry | Programme | Parish | Photos | Points and Pistons | Positronics | Programming | Pollution | Places||old|
|Central Shunting Yard|
|Main||Australia||Miscellaneous||Rest of World|
|Victorian Railways Shunting Yard|
Number of Images on this Page = 5
Electric passenger trains (aka EMUs or Electric Multiple Units) of the Melbourne suburban system
The Tait trains, also referred to as the "Red Rattlers", were a wooden bodied Electric Multiple Unit train that operated on the suburban railway network of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. They were introduced in 1910 by the Victorian Railways as steam locomotive hauled cars, and converted to electric traction in from 1919 when the Melbourne electrification project was underway. The trains derived their name from Sir Thomas James Tait, the chairman of commissioners of the Victorian Railways from 1903 to 1910. The first cars were built during 1909 with the last entering service in 1951.
The trains were initially known as "Sliding Door" trains, as opposed to the Swing Door then in service. They were later known as "Red rattlers" or "Reds" from the 1950s when the blue painted Harris trains were introduced.
(from the Wikipedia article)
|This page maintained by
Copyright Monash University Acceptable Use Policy
8104 accesses since 17 Sep 2006, HTML cache rendered at 20150902:2349